Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Brazilian Portuguese Grammar

---------
NOUNS

All nouns in Portuguese are either masculine or feminine, even objects.
Nouns ending in "o" are usually masculine. Nouns ending in "a" are usually feminine.
But there are many exceptions. The gender of nouns need to be looked up in the dictionary.

Examples of masculine nouns:
O lápis. The pencil.
O papel. The paper.
O livro. The book.
O computador. The computer.
O telefone. The phone.

Examples of feminine nouns:
A caneta. The pen.
A borracha. The eraser.
A mala. The bag.
A mochila. The backpack.
A bolsa. The handbag.
--------
ARTICLES

O garoto. The boy.
Um garoto. A boy.
Os garotos. The boys.
Uns garotos. Some boys.

A garota. The girl.
Uma garota. A girl.
As garotas. The girls.
Umas garotas. Some girls.
--------
ADJECTIVES
Adjective can be either after or before the noum. They are usually placed before the noum.

Homem alto. Tall man
Homens altos. Tall men.
Mulher alta. Tall woman.
Mulheres altas. Tall women.
---------
Preposition + article
na = em + a
no = em + o
num = em + um
numa = em + uma

Em. In.
Em casa.  At home.
Em Nova Iorque. In New York.
Em paz. In peace.
Em Londres. In London.

O carro. The car
No carro. In the car.
Nos carros. In the cars.

A casa. The house.
Na casa. In the house.
Nas casas. In the houses.

Uma escola. A school.
Numa escola. In a school.

Um edifício. A building.
Num edifício. In a building.
---------
Preposition + article
da = de + a
do = de + o
dum = de + um
duma = de + uma

Escola de inglês. School of English.
Casa de tijolos. House of bricks.
Bolo de chocolate. Cake of chocolate.
Barco de madeira. Boat of wood.
Suco de laranja. Juice of orange.
Carro da empresa. Car of the company.
Roupa do marido. Clothes of the husband.
--------------
Preposition + article
ao = a + o
à = a + a

Ao escritório.  To the office.
Ao correio. To the post office.
À escola. To the school.
À fábrica. To the factory.
À polícia. To the police.
À prefeitura. To the mayor's office.
--------
Eu falo. I speak.
Você fala. You speak.
Ele fala. He speaks.
Nós falamos. We speak.
Vocês falam. You speak.
Eles falam. They speak.
---------
Eu falo português. I speak Portuguese.
Eu não falo inglês. I  don't speak English.
Ela não fala espanhol. She doesn't speak Spanish.
Você fala francês? Do you speak French?
Você entende italiano? Do you understand Italian?
Eu não sei. I don't know.
Eu não entendo. I don't understand.
Eu não conheço. I am not familiar with.
-------
Eu entendo. I understand.
Você entende. You understand.
Ele entende. He understands.
Nós entendemos. We understand.
Vocês entendem. You understand.
Eles entendem. They understand.
---------
Quem é você? Who are you?
O que é você? What are you?
Onde está você? Where are you?
Como está você? How are you?
Quando? When?
Por quê? Why?
--------
O que é isso? What is that?
Isto é uma caneta. This is a pen.
O que é aquilo? What is that?
Aquilo é um livro. That is a book.

Isto. This.  (close to the speaker)
Isso. That. (close to the listener)
Aquilo. That.  (far from both the speaker and listener)

Este livro. This book. (close to the speaker)
Esse livro. That book. (close to the listener)
Aquele livro. That book. (far from both the speaker and listener)
----------
Eu quero sentar. I want to sit.
Eu quero cantar. I want to sing.
Eu quero dançar. I want to dance.
Eu quero um guarda-chuva. I want an umbrella.

Eu quero. I want.
Você quer. You want.
Ele quer. He wants.
Nós queremos. We want.
Vocês querem. You want.
Eles querem. They want.

Eu preciso de você. I need you.
Eu preciso de ajuda. I need help.
Eu preciso descansar. I need to rest.
Eu preciso trabalhar. I need to work.

Eu preciso. I need.
Você precisa. You need.
Ele precisa. He needs.
Nós precisamos. We need.
Vocês precisam. You need.
Eles precisam. They need.

Eu gosto de você.  I like you.
Eu gosto de sorvete. I like ice-cream.
Eu gosto de dormir. I like sleeping.
Eu gosto de assistir a TV. I like watching TV.

Eu gostaria de um café. I'd like a coffee.
Eu gostaria de sentar aqui. I'd like to sit here.
Eu gostaria de comprar um jornal. I'd like to buy a newspaper.
-----------
Antes. Before.
Depois. After.
Antes de acordar. Before waking up.
Antes de trabalhar. Before working.
Antes de dormir. Before sleeping.
Antes da festa. Before the party.
Antes do almoço. Before lunch.
Depois de beber. After drinking.
Depois de passear. After walking.
Depois do jantar. After dinner.

Atrás. Behind.
Em frente. In front.
Atrás das cortinas. Behind the curtains.
Atrás do armário. Behind the wardrobe.
Atrás da casa. Behind the house.
Em frente do supermercado. In front of the supermarket.
Em frente da estação de trem. In front of the train station.
Em frente de você. In front of you.
Em frente da delegacia. In front of the police station.

Em cima. On top.
Embaixo. Under.
Em cima da mesa. On top of the table.
Em cima da cama. On top of the bed.
Embaixo da cama. Under the bed.
Embaixo do carro. Under the car.
-------
PRONOMES POSSESSIVOS. POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS.

O carro. (masculine noun)
A filha. (feminine noun)
Meu carro. My car.
Meus carros.  My cars.
Minha filha. My daughter.
Minhas filhas. My daughters.

Teu chapéu. Your hat.
Teus chapéus. Your hats.
Tua festa. Your party.
Tuas festas. Your parties.
This form is considered archaic and not used in written Brazilian Portuguese but it is still used in informal spoken language.

Seu irmão. Your/his/her/their brother.
Seus irmãos. Your/his/her/their brothers.
Sua irmã. Your/his/her/their sister.
Suas irmãs. Your/his/her/their sisters.

O irmão dele. His brother.
O irmão dela. Her brother.

Nosso carro. Our car.
Nossos carros. Our cars.
Nossa filha. Our daughter.
Nossas filhas. Our daughters.
--------------
Ligado. On (machine)
Desligado.  Off (machine)
A máquina está desligada. The machine is off.
O ventilador está ligado. The fan is on.
--------
OBJECT PRONOUNS

Singular
First person: Me, mim, comigo
Second person: Te, ti, contigo
Third person: Se, si, consigo, o, a, lhe

Plural
First person: Nos, conosco
Second person: Vos, convosco
Third person: Se, si, consigo, os, as, lhes

The object pronoun is usually placed before the verb.
Eu me vi. I saw myself.
Eu te vi. I saw you. (singular)
Eu o vi. I saw him.
Eu a vi. I saw her.
Eu nos vi. I saw us.
Eu vos vi. I saw you (plural).
Eu os vi. I saw them.

The object pronoun can also be placed after the verb, except in the past particle, future  and conditional.
Eu vi-me. I saw myself.
Eu vi-te. I saw you. (singular)
Eu vi-o. I saw him.
Eu vi-a. I saw her.
Eu vi-nos. I saw us.
Eu vi-vos. I saw you (plural).
Eu vi-os. I saw them.

Even though it is not grammatically correct, many Brazilians will use:
Eu vi você. I saw you (singular).
Eu vi ele. I saw him.
Eu vi ela. I saw her.
Eu vi vocês. I saw you (plural).
---------
The following pronouns are always preceded by preposition.

Para mim. For me.
Para ti. For you.
Para si. For himself/herself.
Para ele. For him.
Para ela. For her.
Para você. For you.
Para nós. For us.
Para vós. For you. (plural)
Para vocês. For you. (plural)
Para eles. For them. (they are male)
Para elas. For them. (they are female)
----------
Comigo. With me.
Contigo. With you.
Consigo. With yourself/herself.
Conosco. With us.
Convosco. With you. (plural)
Com você. With you.
Com ele. With him.
Com ela. With her.
-----------

No comments:

Post a Comment